Friday, December 17, 2010

One Big Piece of Humble Pie

I like pie a lot, so why use the phrase "humble pie?"  Why not "humble sardines?"  But if has to be pie, mine would be mincemeat.  Gross.

 So, today I had to eat a huge piece of humble mincemeat pie, and it tasted nasty.  Yesterday, I was diagnosed with bronchitis during finals for college, and it came at the worst time.  I still had finals to take, portfolios to turn in, and needed to move into my new apartment for next semester.  I had no energy, no motivation, and no appetite.

There was no way that I was going to be able to get through this on my own.  I had to accept rides, meals, people moving all my stuff for me, and give what I had done on my greenhouse portfolio and understand that it wasn't going to be the quality I wanted it to be.  When I was packing and moving my stuff to the front of the apartment, I was completely drained of energy.  I sat on the couch and just cried.  Heavenly Father had me down to my knees where only then could I really understand that I couldn't do everything on my own.  I HAD to ask for help and take it.

Kristin and her friend came over to move my stuff, and I started crying again.  I told them that I was having to eat my humble pie and say that I couldn't help them move my stuff.  Then my friend Jordan came over since I'd asked him to come and help when I realized I couldn't.  Well, he ended up being moral support instead, and it was so much needed.  At that moment, as Kristin and her friend were moving my things and Jordan was sitting next to me while I cried, I was so grateful for the "whipped cream friends" that make the humble pie taste not as bad.  Jordan made a really really good point that I needed to hear.  Even when I do take help, I have this inherent need to pay them back somehow.  He told me that I need to be able to take help and not pay the person back all the time.  Thank you notes and dinners are great, but don't feel like you always have to do that.  If I feel like I need to pay everyone back for everything, then I'm going to have a darn hard time paying back my Savior for the Atonement He gave to me.

I've learned my lesson, and I hope it stays that way.  I don't want bronchitis again.  :)

Thank goodness for whipped cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment