Sunday, May 8, 2011

For all the dirty diapers...

Happy Mother's Day!  It's days like these when we stop and commemorate someone/something special in our lives that I stop and think about how important it is to daily recognize the blessings in our lives, such as our mothers.  Not a day goes by that I don't need my mom around for something; a hug, phone call, or even simply using a technique or skill she taught me.  Without her, I would be pretty lost in life.  She taught me so many things that have literally saved my life, physically and spiritually.  She is one of the rocks in my life that I can run to and know that no matter how old I get, she'll sit on the couch and hold me close for as long as I need.  She listens to the silly drama, worry, frustrations, and struggles as well as my triumphs, pointless funny stories, and dreams/plans for the future.

There are countless acts of sacrifice and incredible strength that have gone unnoticed by me and my sisters, and not necessarily by choice.  She quietly gives everything she has for us: her time, energy, love, patience, and laughter.  She does all of this for the satisfaction of making sure we are happy.  Mommy really is the glue that holds our family together, and there's no replacement for it.

I personally am so indebted to my mom for what she's done for me.  It's not common in society for a child to have a mother who stayed at home to raise her children and did so without being a pushover.  Mom didn't take crap from us, and that taught us to do the same.  She raised three strong young women who can stand up for themselves in a world that so desperately needs people with high standards.  We are who we are largely in part because of Mom and all she taught us.

No comments:

Post a Comment