Monday, December 19, 2011

Who Moved My Cheese?


One of my favorite things about Christmas break is FREE TIME.  I always am surprised at how much time there is in a day when you have nothing important to do!  Instead of running from class to the library to work to home, I stayed at home for a majority of the day baking bread, cleaning the house, and pausing to enjoy meals rather than eat and run at the same time. 

In my glorious free time today, I searched the bookshelves in my dad's office for a good read.  Who Moved My Cheese caught my eye.

In a matter of an hour, I read a book that had been recommended to me years ago.  I'd been hesitant to read another "looong self-help book" and had never even looked at it to see that it was less than 100 pages.

It seems that when you read an inspirational book such as this one that you always get something different out of it every time you read it. This has happened to me in Tuesdays with Morrie (about a thousand times) and The Last Lecture (which I, without fail, bawl my eyes out every time I read it).
For my first round in Who Moved My Cheese, this question kept popping up:

What would I do if I weren't afraid?

What WOULD I do if I weren't afraid?  What would happen if I lived my life doing the things I've always been afraid to do?  The book describes how once Haw (a little person... you'll just have to read the book) starts doing things that he used to be afraid of (moving out of his comfort zone, exploring uncertain paths, etc), he began to feel invigorated and much happier. 

Simply changing your mindset makes changing habits and doing new things much easier.  And the sooner the better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment