Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Seeds, seeds, and more seeds.

I spent the entire day cleaning seed, organizing seed, and separating seed.  Gee whiz!  BUT, I learned an important lesson.  

As I was cleaning aster seed (which is a HUGE pain in the butt), it was initially very difficult for me to decipher between what was the seed and what was what they call chaff (inert material that once surrounded the seed).  Then I realized that many of the so-called good seeds I picked out were actually undeveloped and therefore deemed bad seed.  Slowly but surely, with the help of a nifty magnifying lamp and a little encouragement/advice from my supervisor, I started to understand what good seed looked like.  

As I was squinting at these TINY seeds, separating them from the chaff, I thought to myself, you know, learning how to separate good seed is a lot like life...  Kind of a Forrest Gump moment.  

It takes a while to learn understand what our purposes are, but once we realize that this process is a lot like finding good seed, we relax.  Initially, it's a hard process, and we feel lost and uninformed.  Over time, however, with the help of various "tools" and "supervisors," we start to figure it out, and soon enough, we can easily tell what our "good seed" is.  When you look back at yourself in the beginning and see how well you were able to focus on your purpose and clear out the chaff over time, you feel a sense of accomplishment.  

And that's what I learned at work today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment