Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Life of (Somewhat) Solitude

The other day, I realized that I was acting somewhat like a monk this summer...

After a hellish winter semester of long days in the Benson building doing homework, stressing about getting everything done, and having NO time to relax, I promised myself that this was going to be the summer that I change and detox from the fast-paced lifestyle.  For my health (in all aspects, not just physical!), I knew I had to lessen the amount of stress and increase the amount of relaxation.

When I moved to Denver, I made sure not to fill every single day with tons of items on my daily agenda.  What I DID fill my agenda with is lots and lots of down time.  I don't accept all the offers to go out, and I don't seek for them as often as I had before.  Although I'm sure I'm missing out on opportunities to develop new friendships, I had to weigh out my options, and my sanity is probably a good thing to save.

This summer has been hard to adjust to, but I am FINALLY able to enjoy things like curling up on the couch with a blanket and good book (which is something I've wanted to do for a loooong time).  My stress levels are low, and my health is GREAT.  My goal for the rest of the summer is to stick with it and make this lifestyle change permanent.  I know it will be SO difficult to carry this into school life, but I have to if I want to be healthy and happy.

Thank you, Denver, for the chance to make positive changes in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment